Tai chi is a form of martial arts, but is also a way for people to connect with their mind and body while meditating. The people who use practice tai chi move very slowly, performing specific movements and breathing in a specific way involving 13 exercises that mimic movements animals make. The exercises are designed to improve physical endurance, mental clarity and overall health.
Tai chi uses the ideas of opposing forces like yin and yang, as well as ìqiî which means your vital life force. Bringing both of these into your exercises will help improve your overall health because it will connect all the forces in your body with your life force. By mindfully moving your body in these ways, you can improve your health and vitality including increasing your immunity.
Tai chi can help people in all levels of health improve their health. It is low impact, weight bearing and aerobic, all at once. It improves muscle strength, coordination and flexibility. Tai chi also improves balance which can help reduce falling risks. Additionally, you can improve problems of pain and stiffness associated from arthritis.
The breathing improvement youíll experience can also help improve sleep quality. Tai chi can truly help bring back more health and wellness to people of all ages and at all fitness levels, since the movements can be modified for the individualís needs.
Follow these tips to get the maximum benefits from tai chi.
* Exercise on an Empty Stomach ñ Itís better to be fully hydrated and exercise before meals rather than after meals. This is the only way youíll be able to do the movements comfortably.
* Start Slowly ñ Donít start at the end, rather start with the beginning. It will take time to learn all the movements, let yourself have the time needed.
* Avoid Exercising When Very Tired ñ Tai chi is very relaxing so therefore itís important not to do the movements and breathing when you are super worn out and tired.
* Seek Medical Care When Needed ñ If you are experiencing pain or severe discomfort, seek medical attention in addition to the tai chi.
* Modify Movements When Needed ñ You donít have to do all the movements exactly as an experienced practitioner. If you need to, find a way to modify the movements to make them work best for your needs.
* Seek Licensed, Certified and Trained Instructors ñ You can use videos, but it is important to find an expert to ensure youíre doing the movements and breathing correctly at first to avoid injury.
* Focus as Much on Breathing as Movement ñ The breathing is just as important as the movements. When you are learning, focus on both your breathing and the movements for the best results.
* Donít Overdo It ñ Never do more than you can and donít push yourself to do more. Itís okay with tai chi to do less than you think you can.
You can start tai chi at any time. You don’t need to be in tip-top shape to do tai chi, and you don’t need to be very young. In fact, tai chi has been shown to be especially helpful for elderly people. It can really help people gain strength, get more sleep, and improve their health overall.